Behind the Scenes: Writing Tag

Behind the Scenes: Writing Tag

Today, I get to do something new on this blog! Yipee!

I was tagged by the extraordinary Annie Hawthorne to answer a few questions about my writing process. (By the way, Annie is basically one of my favorite people on the Internet, so if you’re not following her on Twitter or WordPress or Pinterest, well then, what is wrong with you?!)

Like I said, I’ve never done anything like this before… but I’m going to just dive write in.

(… See what I did there? That was a pun. It was funny. Come on, laugh! … *crickets chirping*… Okay, never mind, let’s just move write along… >_> *snickers*)

Q: Is there a certain snack you like to eat while writing?

A: Actually, yes. I prefer the souls of innocents. Sometimes I content myself to chocolate.

Q: When do you normally write? Night, afternoon, or morning?

A: I’m an early-morning person, 100%. Even now, I’m writing this blog post at 9:30 a.m., and my brain is a little sluggish. Words flow most naturally for me between the hours of 5:00 and 8:00 a.m., when the world is like a hushed, sacred sanctuary. As soon as the sun is full and bright, and the rest of the world is awake, that magic fades away… and with it, much of my creative productivity.

Q: Where do you write?

A: Usually either in bed (if it’s the first thing I do when I wake up), or in some quiet corner of the house. If I’m around other humans, I’ll sometimes put earbuds in. This is just as much for my own productivity, as it is a warning to others not to bother me unless they want to die slowly.

Q: How often do you write a new novel?

A: Hmm, I haven’t written enough novels to give this a valid answer! But, my goal moving forward is to write and release a new novel every year. I understand that this is ideal if one wants to make money as a writer. Also, it is ideal if you have 309,485,039 story ideas literally burning inside of you, threatening to destroy the planet if you don’t let them out as soon as possible. *nervous laughter*

Q: Do you listen to music while you write?

A: Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If I do, it’s almost always movie soundtracks. While writing Emergence, I often listened to The Hunger Games, The Last of Us, and The Signal, among others.

Q: What do you write on? Laptop or paper?

A: My ideas are usually scrawled out on paper first. For some reason, I can only properly think on paper. But my “actual” writing always takes place on the computer.

Q: Is there a special ritual you have before or after you write?

A: Typically I dance in circles while chanting: “Well of life! Well of night!” Then I wash my hands in dragon blood, sprinkle the extra gore on a golden altar, and begin writing while steadily humming. After I finish writing, I repeat this seven times.

Q: What do you do to get into the mood to write?

A: I’m usually in the perfect mood to write right when I wake up. The trick is to not get out of the mood. Hopping immediately onto social media can disrupt that morning magic, so I have to steady my trembling, craving hands and push away Twitter/Instagram until after the words are written. (Easier said than done.)

Q: What is always near the place you write?

A: Hmm. Sometimes I have tea? But not always. (Ignore the deceiving-ness of the feature image. I am not a frequent coffee drinker. :))

Q: Do you have a reward system for your word count?

A: I don’t! Although the thrill of achieving a goal is usually enough to motivate me, I feel like this is something I should get better at. *shrugs*

Q: Is there anything about your writing process that others might not know about?

A: Scenes usually come to me in movie form, first. I see them visually, complete with lighting, color grading, and shot angles. I even hear original soundtracks, often sticking in my head and haunting me with the story’s emotions for days. I have to wrestle these scenes to the ground and pin them into novel form. In response, the scenes stick out their tongues at me, but generally obey like reluctant, rebellious teenagers. I can only placate them by promising them that I will turn them into movie form… one day!

Now it’s your turn…

All right, tagging time! I get to pass this fun questionnaire on to other bloggers. If I didn’t include you, but you still want to participate, don’t take it personally – even though I probably meant it personally (just kidding). Anyway, consider yourself tagged, if you want to be. 😉

Ava at Writability | Cait at Paper Fury | Briana at Briana Mae Morgan |  Kaitlin at Ink and Quills | Kristen at She’s Novel | Rae at The Wallflower

For discussion:

Are you a writer (but maybe not a blogger, so you can’t do this tag thing)? What are some of the secrets of your writing process?

P.S. Props to any of you if you got the Night Vale reference in this post. Look at you, being all weird like me. Maybe we can be friends, now.

(Visited 215 times, 1 visits today)

AHHH YAY THANK YOU FOR TAGGING ME. I was planning to steal this tag but, gawsh, you’ve made me into an honest person by tagging me. 😉
    OMG YOU KILL DRAGONS BEFORE YOU WRITE? BRIANNA. HOW CAN I EVEN LOOK AT YOU. #SaveTheDragons Although chanting and running around shrieking are totally part of my pre-writing-ritual. I like to take a moment to sob and eat a brick wall and ask myself why I didn’t become a professional antique duster instead.

Also, omg, YAY for early morning writers!! I thought I was alone. XD I write best in the mornings, but I can write at night. But basically I just function best in the mornings…at night my brain is dead. (Erm, that is why this comment is so random, hehhh.)

I’m the same with the reward system too. 😉

😀 😀 You are so welcome, Cait!! I immediately thought that this would be the kind of tag you would enjoy. ^_^

As for the dragons… well, I don’t have much to say. I won’t apologize. It’s part of my religion. They die for a good cause.

Haha, I’ve eaten a few brick walls myself, too! xD And YAYY, no you are not alone!! I can force myself to write at night, too, but I totally relate to what you’re saying… my brain turns to troublesome mush, and it’s just much easier and more efficient to write in the morning. 🙂 Unless I’ve just had a bucketload of candy or caffeine. Sometimes that helps.

I look forward to reading your blog post!! 😀

2. saraletourneau

I was recently nominated for this tag, too! Haven’t gotten around to it yet (the past few weeks haven’t been kind to my blogging routine…), but I’m hoping to sneak it in this month. 🙂

I’m also a movie soundtrack listener when I write – and my scenes also come to me as if they’re straight out of a movie! I think that’s why I’ve often described TKC as “a movie playing in my head.” Of course, accurately translating those images into words is quite a challenge.

“If I’m around other humans, I’ll sometimes put earbuds in. This is just as much for my own productivity, as it is a warning to others not to bother me unless they want to die slowly.”

See, I’ve done this before if I want to write / revise / etc. while in the car with my family. But no one ever takes the hint that I’m actually busy doing something! So when they try to talk to me, I always say that I’m in the middle of something (which is true), and they get irritated with me. *sighs*

Hey, what do you know! 😀 The tag HAS been floating around! I hope you get a chance to sneak in the time soon. 🙂 I have NOT been very regular with my blog yet, myself. I’m trying to work in a consistent schedule now. 🙂 Because our blogs deserve our love!!

I know what you mean with the movie in your head!! I feel like many authors think this way now, because movies are such a huge part of our culture. And why not? Movies are awesome. 🙂

And ah, that can be frustrating. *sighs in sympathy* I guess my problem (or in this case advantage??) is that I literally don’t care about being rude sometimes, so when people start to talk to me in these instances, I coldly ignore them. >_> Soon they get the hint, and don’t forget it. Heh, heh. Not that I can recommend this technique with a pure conscience. *winces*

• saraletourneau

I’ll probably start working on it either tomorrow or Friday. So hopefully it will be up in a week or so. 😉

It’s hard to maintain a consistent blogging schedule, I agree. Sometimes work or life in general gets in the way, but you have to roll with the punches. That happened to me recently; and as a result, a post I’d intended to have ready for the last week of October isn’t going live until next week. But hey, it happens, and then we can always catch up later, right?

*lol* Maybe I should start practicing a little rudeness when people try to interrupt my writing. Or, rather, stern politeness, if that’s what it takes to get the message across!

Yay! I look forward to reading it. 🙂

I guess that’s way to think of it! I might write two blog posts next week, for this reason. xD One will be really short, to make it easy. We’ll see if I can do it… *crosses fingers*

Probably stern politeness is a better way to get the point across. ;D That way, people listen but they still respect you for it! Lol!

3. […] at A Gathering of Dreams, Rae Oestreich at The Wallflower, Nicole L’autore, Briana da Silva, and Kristen A. Kieffer. So I’m thrilled to finally hop […]

4. A. J. Lundetræ

Love this post! It is very inspiring to read about your writing process. 😀

5. K.A. Werts